Don’t Wait for a Problem to Arise, Take Affirmative Steps Now!
- Provide comprehensive training for staff and students on issues of respect, diversity, and tolerance.
- Demonstrate strong building leadership on the issue.
- School leaders and staff must clearly and regularly communicate a strong and genuine commitment that every student in the school is treated with respect and dignity.
- Hold assemblies on the issue and incorporate the message into all school activities.
- Promote a community-wide culture of respect and inclusion.
- Provide supportive social environments for racial, ethnic, or sexual and gender minority students like Gay-Straight Alliances (GSAs) & Latina/o clubs
- Involve students and the greater community in developing Anti-Harassment Action Plans. Preventing harassment and bullying should be part of any school improvement plan.
- Conduct a School Climate Survey.
- Ensure every building has a trained compliance officer.
- Investigate and thoughtfully resolve every alleged incident.
- Document, track, and report all incidents of alleged harassment and bullying.
Contact the ACLU-WA for help with best practices and advocating for these in your district.