Use the guidelines below to write the ACLU at the following address:
American Civil Liberties Union of Washington
901 Fifth Avenue, Suite 630
Seattle, WA 98164
We only respond to letters sent that are written to the ACLU. We do not respond to copies of letters sent to other groups. Response time varies, but typically ranges between two to four weeks. E-mail responses are more prompt; if you have an e-mail address, please list it in your letter.
In order to assist you, the ACLU needs the following information:
- Your name and, mailing address, telephone and e-mail address (if available)
- If you are writing on behalf of another person, please provide the person's name. Also state your relationship to the person and provide any contact information you have for the person.
- Are you presently represented by an attorney in the matter you are writing about?
- Briefly describe the problem or issue about which you are contacting the ACLU. Please include any relevant dates and give the names of individuals or organizations involved in the matter.
- Do you have any documentation of this matter? If so, please describe it. If there are relevant documents, please attach copies (not originals) to your letter
- Have you taken any steps to resolve this issue (for instance: filed a grievance, contacted another agency or organization, or gone through an appeals process)?
- If yes, where and what did you file, and what was the result?
- What would you like the ACLU to do concerning this matter?
- Your gender and race [optional, for statistical purposes only]
The ACLU of Washington Foundation maintains the confidentiality of all information we receive. We may wish to share this information with other legal organizations while investigating complaints, but we will always seek your permission before doing so.